How do I help someone that I know is in the occult?
As with any “addiction” you cannot help someone unless they WANT to be helped.
Demons often give their victim a sense of power by giving them a false sense of self-confidence, actual powers (of the mind, or to move objects, etc…) and the acceptance of others (especially if they normally have trouble socially connecting with other people).
What could stop a person from wanting to get help if they seem so miserable?
Pride and Rebellion are the number one reasons for someone seeking demonic influence, interest or control.
“Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty sprit before a fall.” Prov. 16:18
“And whosever shall exhalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exhalted.” Matt. 23:12
“Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” Matt. 18:3
I don’t really want to get involved too deep. What should I do?
You, as a believer have a responsibility to approach a person that needs God’s help.
If you don’t have all the answers, find someone who does (another Bible-believer in Jesus that might have more knowledge on demonic issues) and ask them to get involved and help the person in need.
A person should not have to suffer because you are being a cold-hearted and lazy believer. (Sorry, that is the truth!)
How do you approach someone you want to help?
1. Pray to God for wisdom.
2. Get right with God and your own personal sin.
3. Approach the person (in a safe environment) in the spirit of love and non-judgment.
What would be an example of how I should approach them?
I would say something to the affect of:
“John, I noticed that you have not been yourself lately. You seem to be spiraling down into a dark place. I want you to know that if you need someone to talk to, I will try and help you as much as I can. Call me anytime, day or night. I am concerned and I don’t want you to suffer alone. I am here for you.”
Most demon-possessed/oppressed individuals have issues with rejection, and showing acceptance and love is what they need.
Why can’t I talk about God or Jesus right away?
This approach will turn any demon-possessed person off. Remember, they are not under full control of their own minds/bodies, and the demons inside of them will try and stop God or Jesus from getting involved.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime?
1. Pray with other believers. Pray specifically that God will reveal the source of the entry of the demons and that God will soften the demon possessed person’s heart to him.
2. Fast for the demon possessed person.
“And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour.
Then the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief; for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of a mustard see, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.”
Matt17:18-20 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
3. Completely leave that person’s soul in God’s hands by completely trusting in Christ.
* Prayer should never be a substitute for receiving medical attention. If you, or someone you love is experiencing suicidal thoughts or harmful tendencies towards themselves or other individuals, please help them contact a qualified physician in addition to praying for them. shalombewithyo.wpengine.com does not assume any responsibility for any personal decisions or choices made by its readers.
FURTHER HELP IN REMOVING DEMONIC POSSESSION
INSTRUCTIONS AND ADVICE
Are Demons Inside You? What To Do For Help In Protecting Yourself From Demonic Possession
PRAYERS TO HELP REMOVE DEMONIC INFLUENCE